Monday, September 17, 2018

#MondayBlogs #WritersRunYourMouth Vol. 3 #ShopTalk @shannonihayes

S.I. Hayes Presents

Authors Running Their Mouths is the creative brain child of Author S.I. Hayes Join her as she asks other Authors to let loose and Run their mouths!



Welcome Author Jennie L. Morris

Jennie is a Women's Fiction Writer. Let's see what she's got to say!


Shop Talk with Jennie L. Morris


     Hello, and thank you for the opportunity to write for your blog! My name is Jennie L. Morris, and my first book Drawn in Shadows was published this month, and I have to say I the feeling is still a bit surreal. I work with a fantastic publishing company called Leap of Faith Publishing, LLC, and because it is a small publishing house there is a lot more freedom for the author during the publishing process. I’ve completed the sequel to Drawn in Shadows, and it is waiting in the wings. There is nothing like finishing that first draft, then re-reading your work about five-times through before submitting it.

As a natural night owl, my best writing ideas come at night, which is impractical. If I could, I would write through the night and sleep all day, but that is unrealistic even if desirable. So that is one of the hardest things I’ve had to overcome, making time during daylight hours to write and setting aside the computer, even if I’m right in the middle of a plot point when it is time for bed.

If you ask many writers, published or not, (because YES you are a writer even if you aren’t published) I’ve found that there is a theme. A lot of us start young, writing or telling stories from an early age and the urge never goes away. To be honest, I hated reading until I started high school. Then, a magic wand clobbered me on the head. My mother gave me Ray Bradbury’s From the Dust Returned and I fell in love. After reading that marvelously creepy book, I wanted to read more but also I wanted to write.

The first book I wrote was a terrible romance novel that should never see the light of day. Then I tried my hand at fantasy, writing an opus filled with clichés and predictable characters. I didn’t find my own voice until my late twenties when I decided I wanted to write stories that I wanted to read. Though I read a wide variety of books, both fiction and non-fiction, my favorite genre to read is a well-written historical fiction.

Half the fun for me in writing is the research, collecting all the facts and delving deep into a topic, even if I only mention it in passing. I’m a trained biologist and anthropologist, so I tend to add some sort of scientific details in my work, as this interests me on a professional and personal level. I am also a self-proclaimed Anglophile, even though I live in central Kentucky, I could easily find myself escaping to anywhere in Great Britain. I’ve been lucky to spend four amazing days on that isle, and it felt like going home.

Every author has their own voice, and it’s a shame to try to steal another’s voice when your own may be something fantastic. But, I love the language some authors use and wish for a pinch of their talent. Jane Austen, her mastery of sarcasm of tension between men and women is superb. Diana Norman (also wrote under Ariana Franklin), used history to make her characters so lifelike. As a scholar herself, the authenticity of her books comes through but doesn’t overshadow the storyline in any way. And last, Dean Koontz. He was one of the first authors I read, and though his works are considered masterpieces of literature, they taught me a lot about how to grab a reader with sentence structure and word choice.

Thank you again, S.I. for allowing me to ramble on your fantastic blog. Its been a privilege and a lot of fun talking shop. 


Bio:

As a self-proclaimed Anglophile, and tea lover, it's no wonder that Author Jennie L. Morris writes Romance and Historical Fiction. Her love for both leading her to degrees in both Anthropology and Biology. Coming from NE Ohio, and raised on a Beef Cattle farm , life was anything but ordinary,

Jennie now resides in rural Kentucky, among the bluegrass and dazzling horses, with her amazing husband, ancient feline Chelsea and their newest addition Archie the Boxer. Wher she feeds her Tea and Perfume addictions, letting the scents and flavors fuel her creative fires.

Facebook:   Blog

Buy Link: Amazon.



Thank you for joining me today!!

Cheers!

AUTHORS! WANT TO BE SHOWCASED?? FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW!

Authors Run Your Mouth Form

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Joining Us! Remember dear reader of the wee hours if you have enjoyed this or anything else you have found here give us a like, a share or leave a comment! We love to hear from you! And by We I mean me and the voices that write the books!
Oh and the cats.... Always the Cats....
Cheers! And Happy Reading!